Lightening the Load

It is preoccupation with possession, more than anything else, that prevents men from living freely and nobly.
Bertrand Russell


I have too much stuff.

Probably resulting from inner conflict. I like simplicity, but I was raised a pack rat. Over the years, my hoarding and impulsive purchases have fortunately been somewhat counterbalanced by occasional purges, so I am not that overwhelmed with junk, but it is still too much.

All this extra stuff is much more of a burden to me than a benefit. The clutter makes cleaning difficult. The boxes of junk make finding things I can use more difficult. It takes up room, and requires a larger abode just to warehouse junk. It makes moving a nightmare. Worst of all, there is a part of me that feels bound by my possessions.

So I have resolved to rid myself of 10 things every day. Even if it is just a scrap of paper or an empty box, I will be steadily lightening my load. Things will be divided into three groups:

1. Keep

2. Give away/Donate

3. Recycle/Trash

Time will tell how far it goes, but I am thinking of this as "The Final Purge."

0 comments :: Lightening the Load

Post a Comment